Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best gun for self-defense?
Tough question. The best gun is the one you have when you need it!
An FBI study released in 2014 found 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP calibers roughly equivalent in stopping power and recommended that law enforcement use 9mm due to increased ammo capacity, low recoil and price. I recommend you find a 9mm handgun you can shoot accurately. But if you have a .380 or .25 caliber or even a .22 caliber handgun that you will carry - that is better than having no gun.
What is the best way to carry a concealed handgun?
I get this question mostly from women. There are lots of different options for carrying a gun.
Things to consider:
1. Safety. The most important thing for concealed carry is safety for yourself and others. A handgun should only be carried in a stiff-sided holster that completely covers the trigger guard and is never beyond an arm's reach from you.
2. Convenience. The second most important thing is that you have your gun when you need it. Your carry option has to be practical so that you will actually carry it with you.
3. Speed. The third consideration is how quickly you can draw your gun if you need it.
The best method for these considerations is carry on the strong-side hip, though I realized this is difficult for many folks. You could also consider a briefcase, purse or an ankle holster.
Why choose Richmond Firearm Training?
I provide personal training, customized to your experience and what you'd like to learn. My courses are small and provide much more one-on-one instruction than a typical big box. To read quotes from my customers, please check-out the Testimonials page.
What is your best advice for beginners?
Don't just buy a gun based on advice at the gun store or what you've read on the Internet!
Things to consider:
1. Can you reach the controls?
2. Can you shoot it accurately?
3. Don't start with too small of a gun
I'd recommend shooting several guns as well as getting marksmanship instruction so that you know what features of a gun are most important.